The stone fort was built by the Portuguese in 1523AD and was called Fortaleza da Sao Tome in colonial Portuguese India. Mar Thoma Sleeha (Thomas the Apostle) Church was reconstructed by Knanai Thoma was inside the fort. Dutch India took possession of it in 1661 AD, and later it came under the control of Tipu Sultan. Dutch India wrested it back from Tipu Sultan, but the fort eventually came under the control of Tipu, and was destroyed in 1663 AD. A church and many traditional houses in the nearby area, built by the Europeans still remain today.


  • 5 km from Kodungallur town at Kottappuram
  • 45 km from Thrissur