The temple houses a six feet tall idol of Lord Sree Rama in standing posture with four hands on the banks of River Theevra. The exquisite woodcarvings, sculptures and mural paintings belonging to seventeenth and eighteenth centuries are a feast for the eyes. Dating to the twelfth century, the temple has Dravida – Kerala style Ekathala vimana with circular Sreekovil and square namaskara mandapa with conical roof supported by four outer and twelve inner pillars. The vimana is built on a massive granite base and is crowned by a conical roof covered with copper sheets. Along with Lord Rama, there are shrines for Lord Shiva as Dakshinamoorthy, Lord Ganesha, Lord Sastha and Lord Krishna. Nangiar Koothu, a local theatre for enacting scenes from the Ramayana, is offered as a worship service in the temple premises. Vedi Vazhipadu and Meenoottu are the main offerings. Nalamabalam (Karkidakam), Sethubandhanam at Chemmappilly (Thiruvonam day of Kanni; October – November), Thriprayar Ekadashi (Vrischikam) and Arattupuzha Pooram (April / May) are the main annual festivals here. The mural paintings in the temple is an ASI protected site. The ‘Sethubandhanam’ is annually conducted at Sreeraman Chira, a 900 hectares of paddy fields situated in Chemmappilly near Triprayar. At this time one can see a number strong waves in the river as a symbol of god’s movement. It is also believed that a heavy rain will come on this day which will fill the entire areas of paddy field of Sreeraman Chira with water.


  • 25km from Thrissur
  • Located midway between Kodungallur and Guruvayur


Ph: 0487-2391375. Open 0430 - 1200 hrs, 1630 - 2000 hrs